At First United Methodist Church we believe that a disciple of Jesus Christ is a person whose
Mind is filled with God’s Word
Heart is filled with God’s Spirit
Hands are filled with service to God’s people
Many opportunities to be of service are available to you. Below are just a few ministries that can use your help. If you have an interest and haven’t found a way use your gift to serve God, let us help! Talk to a pastor or call our volunteer coordinator, Dani Ottinger at 918-341-4580.
Candy for Fall Festival
We need bite-sized, wrapped candy to give out at the Fall Festival. You may place your donation in the specially marked, red bins around Central Campus or give to Jaimie at Vessel.
Prayerful People Needed
Prayer partners are needed in the Prayer Chapel following each Sunday’s worship services and in Disciple Hall when neighbors come to the pantry on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Your commitment may be as little as 15-20 minutes one Sunday a month, or just a portion of a morning or afternoon during pantry time. Call the church to get the contact information for the prayer ministry coordinators, Dorothy Cummins or Norma Graham. A prayer workshop will be provided to help you get started.
Kairos Prison Ministry
You could be part of a group of men who will be providing an Emmaus-type weekend at the correctional facility in Hominy, Oklahoma, November 30 to December 3. This can be a life-changing experience for the incarcerated men who elect to participate as well as those who facilitate the weekend. You may find more information about this special ministry by clicking here. Tim McHugh will be leading the kitchen team and needs helpers who will be working out of the First United Methodist Church in Hominy. Contact Tim at 918-829-2431 to learn more.
You don’t have to be tech genius to be on the church media team, but you sure can look like one! Really, you can be part of the media team and look like a genius if you can pay attention and press a button. That’s all it takes! Call Cindi at 918-341-4580, ext. 315, volunteer.
Volunteers are needed to help set up for Connection Night Wednesdays. Duties include setting up, clean up pots and pans, dishwashing, and general kitchen help. Contact Tim at 918-829-2431 for more information.
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week (except holidays) we receive food from Wal-mart. We can use your help stocking the shelves. It only takes about an hour or two depending on how much food we get and how many people are here to help. Show up about 9:30. Contact Linda Polson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The first and third Wednesday of each month we receive a truckload of food from the Food Bank. We need even more help putting that food away. Show up about 10:00. Contact Linda Polson at email@example.com for more information.
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays, we give food to our Rogers County neighbors. If you would like to help with this ministry, contact Kathy Houtz at 918-341-4580, or 918-408-9549 for more information.
Our bus ministry allows people to get to church who could not otherwise attend. We provide transportation on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings. Our buses are 15-passenger vehicles so they can be driven by those with a regular drivers license. Contact Jim Meyer at 918-520-3162 to become part of this important ministry.
Estate Sale Mission
We are blessed to be able to pick up items left after some estate sales. These items are used in our Rusted Rabbit booth on J. M. Davis Blvd. and at our twice-a-year garage sales. How can you help? Call Martha Starr to put your name on the list. When an estate sale comes up, she will give you a call. If you are available, you will spend a few hours packing up the left over items, loading them on the truck, then unloading them at the storage facility. It is only a few hours every now and then, but you will need to have your name on the list in order to get the call. Money from this ministry has be used to help people locally and all over the world.
Would you like to be part of a chainsaw army, a flood bucket brigade, or shoulder to cry on when disaster strikes? Call Greg Partney to put your name on the Disaster Response Team list. Disaster doesn’t strike often, but when it does, you can play an important role in helping those in need. Greg’s number is 918-833-0963.
Sewing for Missions
The first Thursday of each month from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. several people gather in the Quilters’ Room to work on special sewing projects. Sewing experience is not needed to be a part of this group. They have cutting and ironing, gathering, and other tasks to do in addition to the sewing. Their projects have been be used at the domestic abuse shelter here in Claremore, sent out on mission trips within the United States, and sent out through the United Methodist Committee on Relief to people around the globe.
Small Group Leaders
Would you like to start a Sunday school class, bible study group, fellowship group, or small group? Talk to a pastor and we will try to help you get it started.
- The United Methodist Committee on Relief is accepting donations for Disaster Relief. You may learn more and give online by clicking here. With 60 plus years experience helping after disaster strikes, UMCOR is one of the most respected disaster relief agencies in the world. You can be assured that 100% of your donation will go to disaster relief.
- We will be sending teams to storm-damaged areas. Check back here or watch newsletters, bulletins, and other announcements.
In the spring of 2019 a team will go to the Philippines to help out at Asbury College, Anda, Pangasinan, Philippines. If you are interested in going, please contact Laurie Ault at 918-341-4580, ext. 310.
Giving 4 Needs
Each month we collect an item that is not usually donated for our Good Samaritan neighbors. These Giving 4 Needs items are collected in grocery carts near the outside doors on Sunday mornings. This the the schedule for the items we collect.
January – deodorant, February – toothpaste & toothbrushes, March – bath soap, April – toilet paper, May – shampoo, June – deodorant, July -toothpaste & toothbrushes, August – bath soap, September – toilet paper, October – shampoo, November – deodorant, December – toothpaste & toothbrushes.
- Filing and general office organization. Contact Linda Pollock at 918-341-4580, ext. 306
- Help serve communion. Contact Stephen Cagle at 918-341-4580, ext. 301.
- Welcome Team. Contact Frances Ibanez at 918-341-4580, ext. 331.
Check back often. Needs will be added as they arise.