Kids.Km is a fine arts camp which prepares for the performance of a delightful children’s musical, “Danny & the Shacks,” by Christy Semsen. It is a fun, exciting, and blessed opportunity to learn more about the Bible. Children will be praising God through drama, music, fellowship, and great fun.
General Camp Information
- For elementary-aged children entering 1st grade up
- Camp dates: Weekdays July 23 to August 3 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., with two additional dress rehearsals
- Musical will be presented in all three Central Campus services on August 5
- Cost is $55 per student (includes camp t-shirt, musical books, accompaniment CD, set costs, etc.)
- Children are asked to bring their lunch to camp each day
- Please read the information below completely or get a camp packet at the Central Campus Choir Room
- Contact Linda Pollock at 918-341-4580, ext. 306 or lpollock@Claremorefumc.org with any questions
Make an appointment for your child’s “pre-camp” time
Look for the sign up schedule at the Central Campus Welcome Desk on Sunday mornings or email email@example.com with your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice times.
The appointments last for about 10 to 15 minutes and are very important. These “auditions” are for character assignments; therefore, they must be finished before the first day of camp. No prior preparation is needed. These are a no-stress, easy-going time for us to meet your child and determine his or her best place in the story and music.
Check the camp calendar below for meeting dates and times.
Registration and Fee
Registration form or online registration, and the registration fee are due no later than the pre-camp meeting.
About the Musical
Danny & The Shacks
This musical is a theater-style retelling of the faith adventures of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in Babylon. Danny & the Shacks is a musical band. Their backup singers, The Shackelles, serve as narrators in this story, and lead us through the adventures of Danny and his friends after they were captured in Babylon. When they arrive in Babylon, the captives are introduced to the “warrior lifestyle,” meaning that King Neb and everyone in the palace are obsessed with fitness, working out, and training for the Babylonian Warrior Challenge. Danny & the Shacks compete in this challenge but never forget the true Source of their strength. Faced with dangerous situations, they refuse to compromise their beliefs, even when giving in to the demands and values of Babylon would be an easier (and safer) compromise.
We see The Shacks face the fiery furnace because they refuse to bow to a golden statue. We witness Daniel thrown into a den of hungry lions because he refused to stop quietly praying to God every day. In each of these situations, Danny & the Shacks have choices: to whom will they bow and who will they choose to follow? This musical will help teach the children that even in our own “Babylons,” (our trying circumstances) we can trust God to sustain us and have faith that He will be with us…even when a situation seems impossible!
- Danny – Daniel in the Bible, natural born leader, leader of the band
- BABS and BETTE – Both are Narrators (with solos); Singers in the Shackelles and other roles
- BEBE and BERNADETTE – Both are Narrators (no solos); Singers in the Shackelles and other roles
- KING NEB – King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon; obsessed with working out and also grooming competitors for the Challenge; jolly, but full of himself
- SHACK 1, 2 and 3 – Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the Bible; guitar player, bass
- HELGA – Supervisor of the Babylonian Warriors; works out constantly; wants to please the king; also plays a Babylonian musician
- KING DARIUS – King in the Bible; musician and carries a saxophone around
- OTHER ROLES – There are smaller speaking roles, some non-speaking roles, and solos to be cast once camp begins