The Levite Choir from Seoul, South Korea, will be returning to Claremore FUMC as part of their 2017 cross-country tour. The 34-member choir will appear in traditional Korean clothing while performing various gospel selections and demonstrating their many musical talents. The free concert will take place on Sunday, January 22 at 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary.
Help us spread the word by liking our Facebook post and by inviting your friends and neighbors. The Levite Choir is always a favorite. We feel very fortunate to host them when they are in the area.
Start the new year off right with the tools you need to establish a healthier you. Join in on the Made to Crave Bible study where you will learn about replacing your hunger for food with a new hunger for God. This is not a diet plan, but a plan for a healthier lifestyle. This six-week class will be held at 3:00 on Sunday afternoons beginning January 8. If you would like to learn more about this class, please contact Teresa Dexter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The book for the class is $10. There is a Kindle version of the book if you would like to purchase it yourself. Please sign up at the Welcome Desk or by emailing Teresa. Deadline for sign ups is Monday, January 2. When you sign up please indicate if you will require a nursery for your children and if we will be ordering a book for you.
Traditionally the first Sunday service of the new year at First United Methodist Church we offer an opportunity for each of us to renew our covenant with God though the Wesley Covenant Renewal service. We hope you will join us on New Year’s Day at any of our three Sunday morning services, 8:30, 9:45, or 11:00. We will recite John Wesley’s Covenant Prayer and reflect on it’s meaning for our lives.
A Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition
I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low by thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things
to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.
We hope you’ll join us for a beautiful Christmas Eve Candlelight service! Then we hope you will return on Christmas morning for a casual celebration of our Savior’s birth.
Christmas Eve we will have three services: 5:00, 7:00 and 11:00 p.m. At each service communion will be served, and each will end with sanctuary filled with beautiful flickering candlelight. The 5:00 Heritage service will feature familiar hymns accompanied by the choir and organ. At the 7:00 contemporary Blue Jeans service, our worship band glorifi will provide songs with guitar and keyboards. The 11:00 multi-generational Open Table service will provide a mix of traditional carols and modern youthful music. It will end about midnight on Christmas morning. There is nothing like leaving the candlelit sanctuary and walking out into the quiet Christmas morning air.
Christmas morning, please come as you are to any of our three Sunday morning services: 8:30 Heritage, 9:45 Blue Jeans, or 11:00 Open Table services. The coffee shop will be full of treats to snack on as you mingle between service. If you are a member of First United Methodist, please feel free to bring a snack to share. If you are a guest, please take a treat and get to know us.
Whether member or guest, we look forward to seeing you this Christmas!
Christmas is very special at First United Methodist Church. Our twelve-foot Christmon tree is adorned with beautiful symbols of the season. Special music fills the air. Two poinsettia arrangements fill the chancel area with red and green flowers.
We hope to see you Sunday mornings at 8:30, 9:45 or 11:00. Each of our three Sunday morning services has its own unique feel. Our 8:30, Heritage Service, has a traditional bent with its choir, organ and traditional carols. At 9:45 the Blue Jean Service has a contemporary vibe with electric guitars and strong beats. Open Table Service at 11:00 is led by an intergenerational team. You can expect to see very young to rather saged on the chancel.
Just look what is on tap for our special Christmas services:
- November 27 – The first Sunday of Advent, join us Sunday morning then return Sunday night for a special celebration. At 5:00 we will be holding our Potluck and Pie Celebration. We hope you will bring something to share, but if you can’t bring a dish, don’t worry, there will be plenty. At 6:00 we will gather in the Sanctuary for our annual Chrismon Service where we learn about some symbols of Christmas. Everyone is invited to sing Christmas carols and place ornaments on the tree during the service. The service concludes with the lighting of the twelve-foot Chrismon tree.
- December 4 – We will be treated to the beautiful sound of Lorelei Barton, a professional harpist. Christmas tunes lend themselves very well to being played with a harp. Don’t miss Lorelei. She will be playing in all three of our Sunday services.
- December 4 – From 1:30 to 3:00 children ages 2 to 12 are invited to our annual Children’s Make and Take gift and craft party. For just $5 they will be able to make gifts for friends and family.
- December 18 – At 8:30 and 11:00 our choir and orchestra will be performing The Heart of Christmas. This special presentation is sure to get you thinking about the reason for the season. At 11:00, Pastor Ray Crawford will be presenting the message. Why not come to two services!?!
- December 24 – Christmas Eve our services are at 5:00, 7:00, and 11:00. Christmas Eve is especially nice at First United Methodist. Our candlelight services are a family favorite. Singing carols with a family of faith with all the light twinkling is amazing, but then, as the service ends, we each light a candle as we sing. The electric lights are extinguished and Sanctuary is filled with flickering candlelight as we file out into the darkness. If you come to the 11:00 service, you will be leaving on Christmas morning. It is truly magical.
- December 25 – Christmas Morning! We will celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ with three casual services at 8:30, 9:45, and 11:00. Come as you are to be in God’s house on Christmas morning. It will be a very special time.
We hope to see you here during this amazing time of the year. If you have any questions or would like to know anything about our church, please call us at 918-341-4580. We would like to talk to you about the opportunities that await you at Claremore First United Methodist!